Stainless Steel Crown
*Your child has had a local anesthetic for their dental procedure.
- If the procedure was in the upper jaw- the teeth, lip, and surrounding tissue may be numb or “asleep”.
- If the procedure was in the lower jaw- the tongue, teeth, lip, and surrounding tissue may be numb or “asleep”.
- Often children do not understand the effects of local anesthesia and will scratch, suck, or play with the numb lip, tongue or cheek. These actions can cause minor irritations, or they can be severe enough to cause swelling and abrasions to the tissue.
- PLEASE MONITOR YOUR CHILD CLOSELY UNTIL THE NUMBNESS WEARS OFF (approximately 2-3 hours following the appointment)
- You can leave the gauze in the mouth if they keep trying to bite their tissue or lip.
- It is often wise to keep your child on a liquid or soft diet until the anesthetic has worn off.
- If your child does bite their lip, cheek or tongue by accident, the area will usually swell and ulcerate but should heal completely within 7-10 days.
- When the numbness wears off, your child may indicate their teeth do not touch like normal. Don’t fret! This will settle in with in a few days.
- If there are questions or concerns, do not hesitate to call the office at Lansdale Office Phone Number 215-855-4092
- Your child may experience tenderness or discomfort in their jaw for the first 2 days after their procedure.
- To keep your child comfortable, soft, easy to chew foods are recommended. Such as milkshakes, eggnog, yogurt, cooked cereals, cottage cheese, smooth soups, mashed potatoes, refried beans, ice cream, pudding, fruit smoothies/protein shakes, macaroni and cheese, cooked noodles, soft-boiled /scrambled/ poached eggs and soft sandwiches.
- Avoid tough or crunchy foods, such as pizza, rice, popcorn, and hamburger.
- Avoid spicy and acidic foods. Most patients may resume their normal diet within a day or two.
Brush, Floss & Smile!
- We recommend resuming normal brushing, flossing and rinsing immediately. Keeping their new shiny stainless-steel crown clean is very important.
- If brushing hurts, they may want to avoid the crown area for 1-2 days.
- Mouthwash can be used the night of the procedure unless your child experiences discomfort. Wait 1-2 days before using mouthwash again to give gum tissue time to normalize.
Please contact our office Lansdale Office Phone Number 215-855-4092 if your child is experiencing symptoms not indicated above, or if you have any questions for the treating dentist regarding their dental care.