Two-Phase Orthodontic Treatment | Lansdale, PA
What is Two-Phase Orthodontic Treatment?
Two-phase orthodontic treatment is a specialized process that combines tooth movement with guiding the growth and development of the jaws. The purpose of two-phase treatment is to maximize your child’s own growth potential to help achieve a healthy, functional, and aesthetic smile.
Your growing child may benefit tremendously from early orthodontic treatment. In essence, we are setting up the foundation of the house, establishing and providing adequate bone and gum tissue for the permanent teeth to erupt into.
Phase One Treatment
The goal of Phase One is to help guide the growth of the jaws to support the erupting permanent teeth and a healthy bite. Early treatment may provide the following benefits:
- Correct habits that may effect jaw development, such as thumbsucking or tongue thrusting
- Correct certain bite problems, such as crossbites, open bites and overbites
- Guide the jaw growth and development to accommodate erupting permanent teeth, reducing chance impaction
- Guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position
- Reduce the risk of trauma to a protruding tooth
- Alleviate the need for future extractions and/or surgery
- Establish skeletal harmony between the upper and lower jaws
- Reduce treatment time in braces or Invisalign during Phase 2
- Establish long term stability
- Improve your child’s appearance and self-esteem
In this phase, the permanent teeth are given the opportunity to erupt on their own. Retainers may or may not be needed during this period.
The goal of Phase Two is to make sure each tooth has an exact location in the mouth where it is in harmony with the lips, cheeks, tongue, and other teeth.
When this equilibrium is established, the teeth will function together optimally. Phase Two typically involves full upper and lower braces or Invisalign and will accomplish the following:
- Move permanent teeth into their final positions
- Correct minor bite issues
- Improve tooth and bite function
- Improve facial appearance